Who Can Enter
· Any cheesemaker, buttermaker or manufacturer of real cheese or butter may enter the Contest. Each entry should be entered in the name of a person, team or group directly involved in making the product.
· A person, team or group may enter more than one class. A person or group may be named on multiple entries within the same class. The lists below explain the limit on entries allowed per class.
· Marketers or processors that further market or process (cut or package cheese) cheese or butter may be noted in a secondary position if requested. Processors that cut and package products applicable to the Open Class for Shredded Cheese may directly enter this Contest.
About Your Entries
· Do not cut your cheese! Cut cheese is not allowed into the contest. Do not send cheese cut or trimmed from a larger cheese. Entries must be in their original form as hooped. There are some exceptions:
· Cheese cut during manufacture, such as feta in brine and Swiss blocks, may be entered.
· 40-pound (18kg) blocks cut from 640-pound (290 kg) blocks may be entered.
· Cheeses entered in the Smoked Cheese classes may be cut.
· Cheeses processed for the Shredded Cheese Class and the Prepared Cheese Foods Class may be entered.
· Each entry must consist of at least ten pounds (5 kg) of product and can be sent in normal company packaging. There are some exceptions for small cheeses:
· If a fully formed piece of cheese in an entry is 8 ounces (226 grams) or less, send at least two pounds (1kg) per entry.
· A cheese weighing 1 pound (0.5 kg) or less; send four pounds (2 kg) per entry.
· Entries with a trier hole will be disqualified. There is one exception: Entries in the Swiss Style Class may have one trier hole.
· All cheese must be made from pasteurized milk, or be held at least 60 days prior to shipping. Entries should have a cure normally associated with their variety.
About Butter Entries
· Butter Entries shall be creamery butter and shall contain not less than 80 percent butterfat. Butter entries may be bulk butter (bag-in-box or tub) or print butter.
· Entries must be natural or processed dairy products. Any cheese containing vegetable oils will be disqualified and receive a complimentary score.
· Contest staff reserves the right to place entries into the class deemed most appropriate by the chief judge.
· The chief judge will determine if classes have sufficient entries for competition. If a class is deemed too small, existing entries will be moved to an appropriate class.
· Products entered in the competition become the property of the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association. The Association occasionally may request replacement products if award-winning cheeses or butters become unpresentable for showcase at the International Cheese Technology Exposition. Substituted products retain all recognition due to the manufacturer.
· Reimbursements: Each entry weighing in excess of 50 pounds (25 kg) shall be reimbursed within a reasonable time after the conclusion of the contest at US$1.25 per pound or US$1.50 per pound for Swiss Style cheeses.
For each of the classes listed below, you may send up to three (3) entries from each manufacturing site.
Cheddar, Aged 1-2 Years
Cheddar, Aged 2 Years or Longer
Bandaged Cheddar, Mild to Medium
Bandaged Cheddar, Sharp to Aged
Marbled Curd Cheese
Rinded Swiss Style
Rindless Swiss Style
Mozzarella, Part Skim
Baby Swiss Style
Goat’s Milk & Sheep’s Milk Butter
For each of the classes below, you may send up to three (3) entries of each unique variety you produce at each manufacturing site.
Blue Veined, Exterior Molding
Camembert & Other Surface (Mold) Ripened Cheeses
Quesos para Fundir
Smear Ripened Soft Cheeses
Smear Ripened Semi-soft Cheeses
Smear Ripened Hard Cheeses
Pepper Flavored ‘American’ Style Cheeses
Pepper Flavored Cheeses (Other Natural Styles)
Flavored Soft Cheeses
Flavored Semi-soft Cheeses
Flavored Hard Cheeses
Flavored Cheeses with Sweet or ‘Dessert’ Condiments
Smoked Soft & Semi-soft Cheeses
Smoked Hard Cheeses
Reduced Fat Soft & Semi-Soft Cheeses
Reduced Fat Hard Cheeses
Reduced Sodium Cheeses
Cold Pack Cheese, Cheese Food
Cold Pack Cheese Spread
Spreadable Cheeses (Flavored & Unflavored)
Pasteurized Process Cheeses (Flavored and Unflavored)
Soft Goat’s Milk Cheeses
Flavored Soft Goat’s Milk Cheeses
Surface (Mold) Ripened Goat’s Milk Cheeses
Semi-soft Goat’s Milk Cheeses
Flavored Semi-soft Goat’s Milk Cheeses
Hard Goat’s Milk Cheeses
Soft & Semi-soft Sheep’s Milk Cheeses
Flavored Soft & Semi-soft Sheep’s Milk Cheeses
Surface (Mold) Ripened Sheep’s Milk Cheeses
Hard Sheep’s Milk Cheeses
Soft & Semi-soft Mixed Milk Cheeses
Flavored Soft & Semi-soft Mixed Milk Cheeses
Surface (Mold) Ripened Mixed Milk Cheeses
Hard Mixed Milk Cheeses
Shredded Cheese, Flavored & Unflavored
Prepared Cheese Foods